What is Consumer Advice?

When you buy goods or services, they must be safe, of adequate quality and function as described. Any time you make a purchase, you are automatically given consumer rights by law. Empowered consumers are fundamental for fair and competitive markets, which in turn promotes economic growth.

When consumers experience problems with goods or services they have bought, they may experience detriment and be entitled to compensation or a refund. It is important that consumers are aware of their rights, to allow them to make informed decisions and seek reimbursement if applicable.

If you have purchased goods or services from a company or individual trader and you think that they have acted unfairly or broken the law, you should report them to Trading Standards.

When to Report to Trading Standards

  • If you have purchased goods which turn out to be damaged or unsafe
  • If you were pressured or misled into purchasing goods or services
  • If a company or trader has not completed work which they agreed to carry out to a satisfactory standard
  • If you have been sold fake or counterfeit goods
  • If a company or trader has broken rules regarding age restrictions on products

How to Report to Trading Standards

Scottish consumers should contact Advice Direct Scotland for consumer advice or to report a trader. You can call their free helpline on 0808 164 6000 or visit their website

They will discuss your problem with you and will refer it to Trading Standards if appropriate.

What Happens Next

If your complaint relates to a local trader or company, it may be investigated by your local authority Trading Standards team. If it relates to a company or trader that is operating over council and/or national boundaries, it may be investigated by Trading Standards Scotland.

A Trading Standards officer may contact you at a later date to gather more information and evidence, which they can then use to take action to stop the company or trader from acting unlawfully.